Group Admins

• Profile picture of Matthew Brack

Benefits of Broadband

Public Group active 1 month ago ago

Questions or ideas about the benefits of broadband? What does having broadband mean to you?

Barry Forde’s EDFC Proposal (9 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Profile picture of Charles Paxton Charles Paxton said 1 year, 9 months ago ago:

I think it is important to explore Barry Forde’s EDFC ideas in more detail

http://broadbandcumbria.com/2011/01/18/part-iii-the-funding-and-service-model-for-eden-valley-fttp/

It’s worthy of thorough discussion.

• Profile picture of Charles Paxton Charles Paxton said 1 year, 9 months ago ago:

What are the benefits of offering free access to our network to ISPs do you think?

• Profile picture of Phil Thompson Phil Thompson said 1 year, 9 months ago ago:

Free access to ISPs would increase the incentive for them to come on board. Getting ISPs on board “open access” projects is traditionally difficult, especially ISPs with existing customers that people have heard of.

• David Blaylock said 1 year, 8 months ago ago:

I am new to this so I hope I am not asking daft questions.
    The proposal put forward by Barry Forde is based around Penrith, is that because a county wide solution is not the way to go and that we get a better solution by splitting into smaller groups and find the best fit for each one?
    I live in Greysouthen, just outside Cockermouth, and it looks to me that the Penrith model fits us quite well. Could this model be used by us?

In the ‘Latest News on Cumbria’s Broadband Pilot’ it looks like the County Coucil are interested in using CLEO. When I worked for Kangol, before they were closed down, we used CLEO for several years and it was by far a better connection than anything else we could find. At that time the connection was wireless. Is that still the case or are the schools etc now connected via fibre?

• Profile picture of Phil Thompson Phil Thompson said 1 year, 8 months ago ago:

I think it is focussed on Eden Valley area (not just Penrith) as that’s a Big Society vanguard area as well as a BDUK broadband pilot. Constituency boundaries may also play a part in it !

Penrith is on the N-S fibre corridor too.

As an aside, the local politicians don’t seem to be very active in this. Only 1 MP out of 6 being a member isn’t very good. My County Councillor isn’t a member although I am pleased to say my District councillor is.

• Profile picture of Phil Thompson Phil Thompson said 1 year, 8 months ago ago:

CLEO is a mixed architecture with connections by wireless, fibre and copper.

• Profile picture of loving loving said 1 month ago ago:

The fashional Ferragamo Shoes on hot sale,they are very comfortable to wear. The Ferragamo Outlet are very popular,they are good in the quality,fashionable in design,comfortable in wearing ,and the most important is low in price. The Salvatore Ferragamo Shoes on our store. Sell 2010 new arrival Salvatore Ferragamo Outlet! Big discount and Free shipping! All these shoes are best quality and inexpensive price! Welcome for your coming ,high quality are the best-seller in our online shop.