Group Admins

• Profile picture of Matthew Brack

Benefits of Broadband

Public Group active 1 month ago ago

Questions or ideas about the benefits of broadband? What does having broadband mean to you?

Digital competence (6 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Profile picture of Sarah Dauncey Sarah Dauncey said 1 year, 8 months ago ago:

Hello,

I’m interested in devising programmes to help people use the internet positively and effectively. In my view, the move to introduce superfast broadband needs to be accompanied with a strategic plan to inform people of the benefits (as has already been outlined) but also equip them with the skills to utilise it in creative and transformative ways.

I’m in the process of sketching out a pilot programme with Brathay Trust to develop disadvantaged young people’s digital literacy skills and wanted to pick people’s brains on a key question:

Does digital competence improve life chances? And, if so, how?

The answers to these questions might help us to move forward in promoting the broadband agenda in our communities.

• Profile picture of Phil Thompson Phil Thompson said 1 year, 8 months ago ago:

Most job recruitment is now online, for example all NHS job applications are electronic, so I would think that being good at searching online and handling email with attachments etc is pretty handy if you want to get employed to improve your life chances.

• Profile picture of Matthew Brack Matthew Brack said 1 year, 8 months ago ago:

Phil’s right, and I also think that those online tools are symptomatic of a bigger, underlying trend: digital technologies and their related activities are actually a growth area of the economy at the moment; we are increasingly reliant on digital infrastructure, and the growth of digital data remains exponential. This means that digital literacy is opening you up to massive employment potential. Which business in the UK doesn’t rely on some kind of digital service? I think that this will be one of your strongest incentives.

• Profile picture of Matthew Brack Matthew Brack said 1 year, 7 months ago ago:

How is the pilot programme coming along, Sarah? Can you give us an update?

• Profile picture of Sarah Dauncey Sarah Dauncey said 1 year, 7 months ago ago:

Thanks for the encouraging posts! I agree that digital competence adds to young people’s employment potential. But as Phil said, it’s also a vital tool to enable access to information about jobs and services.

We have won funding to run a pilot residential programme at Brathay Trust for around 20 young people, probably in Years 8 and 9. We’ll be looking at developing their technical skills and confidence but also addressing online identity. Our provisional title is ‘Digital Me’. The students will be using digital media to share their special interests with a wide audience.

If it goes well, hopefully we’ll get programme funding and will be able to provide for disadvantaged young people from across the country.

• Profile picture of loving loving said 1 month ago ago:

Never did I find a nice Moncler Outlet in such low price. I’m appreciated that I haven’t got any problem when buying Moncler Boots Men Outlet. All my students speak highly of these Cheap Moncler Caps. Very fashional outlook and durable quality. I’d like to share my ideas on these Moncler Coats For Kids for I have bought these jerseys several times for my students. Get Cheap Moncler Handbags Outlet for less with the fabulous round the days customer services. Moncler Hats & Scarves Sale with smashing styles to complement designer denim and dress casual wear. Due to those distinctive features mentioned above, Moncler Hoodies Women are now become the featured products of moncler, you can choose them at our store at will ! You will find there are more colors coming out for the Moncler Jackets Men Sale. This kind of stylish 2012 New Moncler Sale are very popular among the women. Heavy discount Moncler Jackets Outlet are popular nowadays Moncler Pants Men is popular now, so buy one at once. What are you waiting for? Click to our good fame website to buy Mens Moncler Polo Shirts for yourself or your relative to add your attire some shining points. They feel that they can express themselves very well by wearing unique Moncler Shoes For Mens and enable them to standout from the crowd. Welcome to our online Moncler Sweater Men store,all of our products are 100%new&original. Dear friend,we are selling all sorts of Moncler T Shirts Outlet, we can give you the most competitive price. Are you looking for a pair comfortable shoes? The Moncler Vest Women Sale must be your top choice. We wholesale many styles of Moncler UK. They are very comfortable and easy to match with all kinds of clothes.